Asanas=Relaxation

*Lexi and I on one of the most peaceful and relaxed
days of my life at Laramie Greenbelt Park.

I honestly don't know what it is about the asanas that relaxes me, that calms me, that helps me to feel less. What I mean by feel less is not that I'm becoming emotionless or unsympathetic to others, but that my negative emotions are reduced. For the last few weeks, months perhaps, my negative emotions primarily anger, jealousy and pride seemed to have increased dramatically; consuming my thoughts and sometimes my entire day. 





I've noticed when I do my asanas in the morning upon waking, they don't consume me as much. It doesn't matter if my session is 15 minutes or an hour for the rest of the day, I'm not as angry, as jealous, as irritated. Don't get me wrong its still there, definitely, but for some reason it just doesn't affect me as much. I do notice though as the day progresses that they (my emotions) start to get a little stronger hold on me (could be do from hours of watching TV and eating junk food lol), but never as strong as they are when I just outright don't do my asanas in the morning. 

Perhaps, there's a biological or chemical answer to this. Or possibly, when I'm doing asanas some type of hormone or substance is created and released like endorphins or something that helps me to feel more calm and relaxed and less angry and irritated. Or it could be the fact that something on a deeper spiritual level is happening that I'm completely unaware of and, therefore, cannot articulate in words. 

Or, perhaps, is a combination of both, working together to create a simultaneous, physical/biological and astral/spiritual effect. Further reiterating the interconnected-ness of both our inner and outer worlds. I'm not completely sure, but I cannot deny the obvious calming effects that asanas bring. I can only imagine what sense of peace and tranquility the entire yogic system could bring to my life. But for now though, I'm content...no,no,no...I'm happy with asanas and my 5 minutes of relaxation in savasana. But one day..... ;-)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

LINKwithlove
Copyright © 2013-2015 Love.Yoga.Dream. All Rights Reserved.Opinions are my own and do not reflect any one specific set of yoga teachings. I don't offer professional advice. Results are not guaranteed.