Dish of the Week....Tofu Scramble!!!

To kick off my new blog, we will begin with a dish that starts off the day...BREAKFAST!!!


I have been searching for the ultimate, fulfilling, meat free, egg free breakfast. Guess What??? I've found it!




Tofu Scramble with Sausage Link and Toast
Ingredients:
For Eggs:
  • 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
  • 1/3 Yellow Onion, chopped
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Turmeric (for color)
  • Red Chili Pepper Extra Virgin Olive Oil (found at Target)
  • 1/2 package of Soft Tofu
For Toast:
  • 2 slices of White Bread
  • Earth Balance Buttery Spread
  • Smuckers Strawberry Jam
*Boca Brand Breakfast Sausage Links

Here's what I did:
  1. Chop up the red and green bell peppers and onions and set aside.
  2. Cut the already halved piece of tofu into another half and dry with a paper towel or towel to remove excess water and set aside.
  3. Heat oil in a medium saucepan at medium high heat.
  4. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and let saute for about 4 to 5 mintues.
  5. Add the peppers and salt and pepper to taste. (I do this now, because if I add the salt with the tofu in, I will add way more and I'm trying to watch my sodium levels :-)
  6.  Let saute for 2-3 minutes.,
  7.  Add the tofu and smash with the spatula. This gives it a scrambled egg like appearance.
  8.  Add just a sprinkle of turmeric for color and mix everything together.
  9.  Let mixture cook in the pan for at least 5 to 7 minutes. (I let it get a little brown on the bottom.)
  10.  And serve.
*Everyone knows how to cook toast right?!?!?!

This was my first time making tofu scramble as I was scared to do so in the past. It turned out to be VERY DELICIOUS! I plan on making it again tomorrow morning ;-)
I modified this recipe from TeddyGirl on http://veganbits.com/tofu-scramble/.
They have tons of vegan recipes on this site and I plan on frequenting it often. She recommends putting nutritional yeast in the Tofu Scramble as well for a better flavor. Unfortunately, I could not find it at my grocers, but intend on adding it when I do.


Let me know how it goes for you and what changes you made.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

LINKwithlove
Copyright © 2013-2015 Love.Yoga.Dream. All Rights Reserved.Opinions are my own and do not reflect any one specific set of yoga teachings. I don't offer professional advice. Results are not guaranteed.