Writing Yoga - A Review



For the past few weeks, I've been reading a subtly inspiring book called Writing Yoga: A Guide to Keeping a Practice Journal by Bruce Black. I had no idea what to expect. I thought it would be a more practical book just giving me exercises to do in my Yoga journal, but it turned out to be much more.

I love writing and journaling. For some reason, I'm able to get a little closer to being honest with myself, getting down to the "nitty gritty" of me as I like to say. And with my new found yoga "high" this book was heaven sent. Combing two of my loves writing and yoga (at least at the moment ;-) Both are spiritual in so many ways and Mr. Black makes that connection is in book.

Writing Yoga is the combination of one man's spiritual journey into the consistent practice of Anusara yoga and how keeping a journal allowed him to not only continue that journal but give it more depth than he could have imagined. Although the book is filled with actual journal exercises, I came became engrossed in Mr. Black's story, at how profound going through the asanas of Anusara were so much more than just poses. They were gateways to understanding life...his life. It is from this book that I have begun to see the journey as more than just a way to purify one's body and get in shape, but rather the stepping stone to this game called life and more importantly the first door to open on the spiritual journey. I love this book so much. I can't wait to purchase my own copy (I obtained the book through the wonderful inter library loan system at my university) and add it to my collection of books that have inspired me to keep going.

Mr. Black's book came at the perfect time for me. Yes I was on my Yoga high, but it was dwindling. My spiritual mojo was dwindling. I was stuck in a place of what to do, what did I need to do. Should I do everything? Japa, meditation, asanas, pranayama? Should I just start with one, a combination of two or three? Or should I just do nothing? And his book allowed me to recall a realization I made myself after reading Awaken about the body...that asanas, that starting with the body is a must. Not only because it houses the soul, but just like the home is the basis for our lives the body is the physical manifestation of home for the soul. As such, what happens on the mat and in or with our bodies is representative of what goes on in our lives.

The book is filled with so many personal accounts, quotes and actual journal entry's of Mr. Black. He gives an excellent account of the different steps he went through and the lessons that he learned. Even though I'm sure there were many more that he learned, the themes- which are the names of the chapters- are lessons that are universal to everyone. Themes that everyone will learn or needs to learn in order to truly gain the benefits of a consistent asana practice. Themes such as "Listening to Your Voice", "Opening Up", "Awakening to the Connections" and "Finding Your Balance."

One of my favorite chapters was "Just Sitting." It was my favorite because it shed light on a huge challenge or obstacle to overcome for myself on this spiritual journey...just being. In the "Just Sitting" chapter, Mr. Black explains that challenge-in many cases overwhelming challenge- that comes for most of us in simply sitting. We think that all we have to do is cross our legs and lay our hands on our knees. But sitting is much more involved then we think. 

Sitting is stillness of the body, but it is confrontation with the mind, confrontation with ourselves. And I don't know about you, but that's pretty scary. Being and confronting oneself the good, the bad and the ugly is THE most hardest thing to do in the world. Who wants to look at all the bad, all the flaws, mistakes, and just outright negative things about oneself? But Mr. Black explains that this is a good thing. 

In facing oneself, especially the bad and the ugly, one gains understanding and with understanding comes acceptance and after acceptance comes peace. He doesn't necessarily explain it in that manner but that's how I read...those are thoughts and connections I made within myself while reading this chapter. Now it didn't make me want to be like "yayy let's start sitting" "woohoo for seeing my bad side...let's do this" or anything, but it helped to give me perspective on why "sitting" is so important on the spiritual path.

There are so many things, insights, reflections and anecdotes that I love about this book. It has helped to fuel my desire to practice Yoga and truly progress through the 8 limbs of Patanjali's Yogic system. It will be a book that I will continually pick up for the rest of my life. And needless to say I have to start doing the journal exercises for my own yoga journey ;-)

I strongly encourage ANYONE and EVERYONE who is thinking of starting a daily asana practice or taking up the practice of Yoga in-depth and allowing your asanas to speak to you in more ways than one to pick up this book.

You can also find Mr. Bruce Black continuing to give tips, advice and sharing his lifestory about writing and yoga on his blog www.journalpractice.wordpress.com. I know I will be checking it out from time to time.

If you do decide to pick up this book, let me know what you think of it :-)






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

LINKwithlove
Copyright © 2013-2015 Love.Yoga.Dream. All Rights Reserved.Opinions are my own and do not reflect any one specific set of yoga teachings. I don't offer professional advice. Results are not guaranteed.