Flexibility of Yoga

This morning I started my first day of my whole Yoga and C25K program. And today was Purnam Yoga day, the style of yoga that my spiritual master created and taught me. In watching the home videos that I made for myself just in case I fell off the yoga wagon and needed a refresher, I noticed that I learned more than one form of Suryanamaskar or Sun Salutation in Purnam Yoga. One was taught to me by Acharya Shree and the other was a form I learned while doing asanas with Siddhali Shree. And then there was this crazy version that I formulated sort of unconsciously while practicing at home.

This morning though, I decided to try doing Suryanamaskar the way I did with Siddhali Shree. After 6 rounds of Suryanamaskar, Vriksasana or Tree Pose, Trikonasana or Triangle Pose, and a few sitting postures, I didn't feel as relaxed or calm as I usually do when I do my "own" version (whatever that is). This wasn't a bad thing. My thoughts...ironically...didn't start going in the direction of "my" version is better, but rather I had the realization that Yoga or rather asana practice is flexible. And I don't mean in the obvious way. There are so many different Yoga styles, modifications and practices that it inherently allows for so many variations. And what does this mean for someone like me or anyone for that matter? That it is porous and flexible allowing for any individual to cater whatever style or asanas they've learned to themselves and there's totally nothing wrong with that. Asana practice allows for one to go through a posture as fast or as slow as they want or need. Asana practice allows for you to combine and perform whatever postures YOU need WHEN YOU need them.

It's not rigid or strict in that sense (its only strict in actually practicing consistently). And this is what I love. Even further I love how even more FLEXIBLE yoga is when I practice at home. This is where I really have the freedom to sit or relax into a posture for however long I need to without the calm voice of an instructor. I am my instructor. I am in control of what my body does and for how long. I love that I can take as much time as I feel my body needs to just breath and sink even lower into downward dog or relax in child's pose and oh my gosh tree pose is my favorite. I can allow myself to become balance and grounded even more through taking the time to slow my breath, relax my shoulders and allow my body to feel all the effects and benefits that comes from tree pose.

I love yoga. I love its flexibility. I love the awareness its brings to me of my own body and consequently myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

LINKwithlove
Copyright © 2013-2015 Love.Yoga.Dream. All Rights Reserved.Opinions are my own and do not reflect any one specific set of yoga teachings. I don't offer professional advice. Results are not guaranteed.