Ashtangi Community: R. Sharath Jois

R. Sharath Jois, also referred to as Sharath Rangaswamy is the current director of the K. Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute in Mysore. He is the grandson of the grandfather of the Ashtanga tradition, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. His mother is Saraswati Rangaswamy, the daughter of Guruji. He has studied under his grandfather since he was nineteen years of age and he is also the only ashtangi, I know of, to practice all 6 series of the Ashtanga Vinyasa tradition.

Being a second generation ashtangi, who did not have the auspicious opportunity to meet Guruji or travel to Mysore, this video provided me with the best portrayal of the current head of the ashtanga community. I've never watched any video of R. Sharath Jois before beginning my journey into ashtanga yoga. I've only heard or read about him on Kino's blogs and articles written by other senior Ashtanga practitioners. It wasn't until I came across this video as I was doing my daily perusal of Pinterest that I've finally come into "contact" with R. Sharath Jois and needless to say, I felt comfortable with him without having met him in person because of this video. I think it is an amazing portrayal of this man, his message and the goal of the ashtanga practice. By the end of it, I was searching on google for his tours and events to see which ones I may be able to attend. From what I've watched, R. Sharath Jois is a cheerful, wise and peaceful man that I want to learn from. Hopefully one day soon, I will make that wish come true (next summer perhaps ;-). Enjoy!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

LINKwithlove
Copyright © 2013-2015 Love.Yoga.Dream. All Rights Reserved.Opinions are my own and do not reflect any one specific set of yoga teachings. I don't offer professional advice. Results are not guaranteed.