Simple Sweet Potatoes

This Thanksgiving was the first one I have spent alone. Ironically, I wasn't lonely. Why? Thanks to technology and food. Although I was alone, I was able to record videos to send to my friends and family and communicate with them throughout the day.
I know this may sound weird, but I find an extreme comfort in food, mainly cooking it. It's a stress reliever for me. Simply put it make me happy.
So for this Thanksgiving, I spent the entire day, cooking talking with loved ones and watching Harry Potter :-)
My Thanksgiving meal including vegetarian dressing with cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, baked macaroni and cheese and a homemade tofurkey (that didn't go all that well).
I would like to share with you the recipe I used for the sweet potatoes. Now many people like to get fancy and add marshmallows, cinnamon, brown sugar and in some cases walnuts or pecans. But not me. I like my sweet potatoes simple and sweet. So here you go...
Ingredients
  • 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
  • 1 stick of butter
  • Sugar
  • 1/4 cup of water
Directions
  1. Wash, peel and cut your sweet potatoes.
  2. Add water to your pot on medium high heat.
  3. ONce you start to see your water begin to boil, add your sweet potatoes and a butter.
  4. Then add your sugar, pour until there is a good layer of sugar on top (for the most part everything is white ;-)
  5. *I never measure here. I typically pour sugar on top until just about all the potatoes are covered.
  6. Cover and cook on medium high heat until sweet potatoes are tender. Usually around 20 minutes or so.
  7. *Due to the heat, I would suggest letting the final product chill and then reheat before serving. This way the syrup has time to thicken up a bit.




Here is just a pic of my 2011 Thanksgiving Dinner Spread!




    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    Flickr Photostream

    Twitter Updates

    Meet The Author

    LINKwithlove
    Copyright © 2013-2015 Love.Yoga.Dream. All Rights Reserved.Opinions are my own and do not reflect any one specific set of yoga teachings. I don't offer professional advice. Results are not guaranteed.